Finding a Better Option
If you’re buying a facial mask or scrub from the drugstore, you could be putting the health of your whole body at risk. In today’s post, we’ll talk about what’s wrong with big-name skin products, and how you can get all the amazing benefits of a mask or scrub without all the nasty side effects.
We all love a good rejuvenating facial mask once a week, and scrubbing away the dirt and excess oils from our faces leaves them radiant and healthy, but does it matter where we buy our scrubs and face masks? After all, the ones from the drug store are cheaper and easy to pick up, so why buy a fancy organic one? Aren’t they all the same anyway?
Sadly, no. Commercial masks and scrubs that you find on the shelf often contain a long list of unnecessary and harmful ingredients. Take a look at the label on that scrub at the drugstore, and you’ll likely find things like parabens, acetate, sulfates, artificial dyes, and much more. What do all these things do to your skin and body?
- Parabens - Usually used as a preservative, propylparaben mimics hormones and disrupts your endocrine system, causing developmental and reproductive problems throughout your body.
- Retinyl Acetate - A synthetic vitamin considered a high hazard cosmetic ingredient, with organ, developmental, and reproductive toxicity.
- Alcohols - Can be irritating to the skin, eyes, and lungs, and are too harsh for the delicate skin on your face. Alcohols dry out your skin and strips its natural barriers.
- Sulfates - An irritating ingredient for many people, especially those with allergies, and also clogs pores and strips skin of natural oils that it needs. It’s also a non-sustainable resource.
- Artificial fragrance and color - The word “fragrance” on a product can represent any hundreds of chemicals with all sorts of side effects, like allergies, asthma, and headaches. Many are stabilized with phthalates, which have been shown to cause birth defects in animal studies.
This is just a small sample of the kinds of things that you can find on the label of virtually every store-bought mask or scrub. The ingredient lists on these products are a mile long, and even those that claim to be natural or organic are not completely so, or aren’t responsibly sourced.
There’s also the issue of destruction to the environment and testing on animals that comes from many of these cheap, mass-produced skin care products. And anything you put on your skin will eventually be washed down the drain and added to our water supply.
We believe strongly in making products that are earth-friendly, truly all-natural, and work better on your skin anyway. You don’t have to sacrifice effectiveness when choosing an organic alternative. The great thing about our ingredients is that they do wonders for your skin by virtue of their amazing natural effects.
It’s no secret that we’re obsessed with Matcha Tea. We use the purest and highest possible grade of ceremonial grade green Matcha tea, which provides powerful antioxidant benefits, naturally smells great, and reduces inflammation.
Our scrub uses organic, fair-trade coffee as its main ingredient, which has amazing anti-inflammatory benefits and is perfect for reducing cellulite, stretch marks, and more.
What else do we use in our products to naturally clean and refresh your skin? Plenty! And it’s all natural, healthy, and environmentally safe.
Coconut Milk - Provides natural moisture and rejuvenating nutrients directly into your skin cells.
Essential Oils and Cocoa Butter - Moisturizes and smooths your skin for a beautiful, healthy glow.
Organic Honey - Has natural antibiotic and antimicrobial properties, and leaves your skin blemish free, fights acne, and keeps your matcha clay mask pure.
Echinacea - Naturally reduces inflammation and redness, and ours is always is high-grade and organic.
Botanic Clay - We use a proprietary blend of 3 different organic clays to cleanse and remove unwanted skin oils and dead cells.
We carefully choose and source each ingredient to be the very best - for you and for our earth. We never use parabens, sulfates, GMOs, petrochemicals, preservatives, synthetic fragrances or dyes. And we don’t test on animals, so it’s harsh chemical and cruelty free. Because we believe that healthy, beautiful skin should be natural, pure, and simple.
So next time you’re looking for a great scrub or mask to add to your routine, make sure you check the label and find a product that’s both great for your skin, and healthy for you and the earth!